Saturday, November 20, 2010

Cranberry Sauce and Gluten free Turkey

Cranberry sauce is naturally gluten free. At this time of year I love to make a lot so I can use it when I have any kind of poultry.  I have been making this recipe for more than 20 years.  I make 2 different varieties. They are basically the same, but one uses orange juice which gives the sauce a nice citrus flavor.  For those with citrus allergies, the plain one is great too!

Cranberry Sauce

3 cups cranberries
1 cup water or orange juice
1 cup sugar

Combine all ingredients in a saucepan, heat on high till cranberries start to pop. Stir frequently.  Lower heat to medium and cook and stir until all cranberries are popped and sauce starts to thicken. This will happen rapidly!   

Enjoy with your gluten free turkey!  Speaking of gluten free turkeys, not all turkeys are gluten free!  Be careful when buying yours.  I stick with Shady Brook Farms, as it says "gluten free" right on the label. A fresh turkey would probably be gluten free, but ask your butcher just to be sure it isn't injected with anything that contains gluten.  I hope you are all enjoying this busy weekend before Thanksgiving!  Please feel free to post gluten free recipes that you are using this Thanksgiving in the comments section of my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment